If a fire is reported and it is not possible to verify that it is muirburn under control, the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service (SFRS) will attend. To reduce unnecessary call-outs, on the day of muirburn, the person in charge of burning (the Responsible Person) should telephone the appropriate SFRS Control Centre (see the coverage map):
- North: 01382 835804
- East: 0131 228 1367
- West: 01505 331661 or 0141 887 1188
The following information should be provided:
- The name of the Responsible Person.
- The position of the centre of the area where burning is planned to take place:
- Direction & distance from the nearest village or town.
- Six figure grid reference.
- Example: 7 miles north of Blair Atholl, NN 853778
- Start time and expected finish time of burning.
- Contact mobile telephone number for the Responsible Person, and in case the primary telephone number is unavailable, a back-up telephone number, which will be monitored throughout the time that the muirburn is taking place (for example: the estate / farm office / home number).
- Number of people taking part.
The Responsible Person should contact the Control Centre again, when burning operations have been completed and all fires are out.